28.3.11

Twists and Turns: My Two Strand Twist Journey

I spent all most all of last Autumn and Fall in prective styles. In 2009 I gave myself horibal heat damage by keeping my press longer through constant flat ironing ( haven't gotten pressed since!). I learned that when you get a press let your hair go back when it wants, dont try to go back over it with a flat iron! After going through most of the summer constantly wearing bantu knot outs (it is a great style that worked well with both parts of my hair. The hair that didn't go back from the press, and the hair that did) without moisturizing my hair enough or giving it a rest. I noticed that my hair had broken off noticeably... I went protective style crazy! I wore my (own) hair braided into a bun for months on end getting the same style over and over again to hid the large sections of my hair in the front did not go back to my texture. What I didn't know at the time was that I have about three different textures in my hair ( baby hair on the edges, a tight curls above my ears, and kinks everywhere else) which responded the worst to my excessive flat ironing. Washing, Conditioning, Moisturizing, and braiding my hair once a week did wonders for my hair and helped it recover. But back to twisting. I had not been twisting hair most of last year because the straight hair didn't hold a twist ( without without drying hair are twisting in rollers) at all. After five months of my braids only regimen my hair had grown out and it was time for a cut. I went to a natural hair salon and had my hair cut and twisted.

I know funny pose, this is the only picture I have that shows the front.
 The back it just twists that have been dried in curling rods. 


I got inspired and next time I washed my hair. I quickly twisted that back and did some flat twists in the front ( my hair was/is uneven in the front) and wore it for a week it wasn't the best but it worked. At this point i only had about a half an inch of burnt hair left at the crown of my head.

first time in a while. Notice the the straighter ends of my hair at the top.
 thats the hair that didn't go back. 
In the back I didn't  twist the hair
 from the roots and it showed.

flat twists on top.

One of the second times

Right
This time in the back I made sure to twist the roots of my hair.
left
The same diagonal parts in the front.

I did my hair like this a couple of other times than I started to excrement with different parts in the front. I have always loved two strand twists because they are sooooooo versatile. Twists are to me an easy classic style, they can be a big or small as you want. Depending on the size of the twist it can take anywhere from seven to three hours and lasts about three weeks if you sleep with a scarf. It is definitely a staple style for me!

update:
Over the years my technique has improved to the point that I am often asked "who did your hair?" to which I reply "I did" with a smile. To see some of my more current twist/flat twist creations click on my hair style index page.  

No comments:

Post a Comment