29.4.11

The Afro Returns!




Here is a narrative of how I'v worn my afro for that last three days.... 

First Day.

After I washed my hair I sectioned my hair while I putting in leave-in conditioner, shea butter, and extra virgin olive oil in. I twisted my hair in medium to large two strand twists. I let my hair dry like this for an hour and a half (how long you leave the twists in can be as short or long as you want. In the two pictures bellow I twisted and moisturized after I got out of the shower and took them out before I left the door). This allowed my hair to dry better without becoming matted and gave my afro some more definition.


Night Routine:

Grab a section of hair than spray with stray bottle, apply shea butter and olive oil. Than Braid section, continue and repeat on the rest of hair. Sleep with scarf. 

The Second Day.

I took out the the braids and detangled the braids with my hands so that my afro would still be a defined. Notice how my afro is bigger than the day before because my hair was not wet when I braided it. 





 I wore my hair with a headband that day also.



Later on  inThe Second Day.

Can anyone say Shrinkage ?

The weather that day was very humid and rainy One good thing about wearing my afro out is that it gives me a reason to like humidity (water is my hairs best friend), otherwise I start dreaming about snow.

         
  

when I got home I braided my hair (and let the braids stay in for about two hours) again to that my afro would be larger when I left my house again later that day ( before and after above). I decided to re-braid since my hair had shrunken and I would be home of a couple of hours before I left again. This is definitely optional depending on how you like to wear your afro. This is how my hair looked after.



Third Day (Today).

Last night I repeated the same night routine as mentioned above. The only difference is that I braided my hair in slightly smaller sections. This made my afro bigger and gave a little more braid out definition on the ends.





 Word to the wise:

Spray bottle! Spray bottle! Spray bottle! Spray bottle! Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! Shea Butter! Shea Butter! Shea Butter! Shea Butter! Extra Virgin Olive Oil! Extra Virgin Olive Oil! Extra Virgin Olive Oil! 
In that order. ALWAYS
Of course how much you moisturize depends on how the weather is where you live. The dryer the place the more the moisturizer, natural oils, and butters needed. That said afro textured hair still needs lots of:
 > moisture, meaning leave-in (conditioner, or lotion) and spray bottles with water being the main ingredient.
 >Oil NOT grease, ideally these oils are made from things that occur naturally in nature. 
>Butters, shea, avocado, coconut, whatever butter you use make sure that name on the cover is the first thing in the ingredient list.

Overall:
I love, love, love! my afro!   




No comments:

Post a Comment